Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Beach! An Optional R&R Event

We do now have confirmed reservations for January 13, 14, 15 in Sihanoukville, "Snooky" as it's known by the locals, a beach community located on the Gulf of Thailand, about 3 to 4 hours south of Phnom Penh.

It is basically for enjoyment, relaxation, and an opportunity to experience the Khmer culture and foods in a pleasant atmosphere.


Besides relaxing and dining, there are possibilities of snorkeling, scuba, day trips touring around town, walking tours, dirt bike tours, bike and motorized bike rentals, massages, fishing, sailing, learning to cook, volunteering time at Help the Cambodian Children, miniature golf, and more. As time gets closer, those of you who want to do some of these activities can chatter amongst yourself to see if there are like-minded people who want to do the same things in case there are minimum numbers required.

We will leave by private van/bus on the morning of January 13, and come back to Phnom Penh airport on January 16. The cost is estimated to be about $12/person, and you will pay for that at the time. It is possible for you to come back a day earlier if needed, but you may still end up having to pay for the night that you don't use since you'll be sharing a room, and a private taxi back will cost approximately $40.

Participants will pay for the fixed cost of the accommodations in advance. Details will be sent to you in an email. You will pay these costs in advance, directly to your team leader, not through Habitat, and therefore there will be no tax deductible receipts for the funds submitted. Other costs encountered such as meals and activities will be paid by the participant at the time, unless advance booking is required.

It will be necessary to determine if you are going to participate in this optional R&R event and/or other activities before you buy your return airline ticket. It is also possible to consider doing some of your own side-trips, such as Angkor Wat, before having to be in Phnom Penh on January 3.

Some participants may want to do this trip to Sihanoukville and/or visit Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, other parts of Cambodia, and/or neighboring countries such as Thailand and Vietnam. If you want to do this, the team leaders will give some suggestions/tips, but all planning needs to be done by the participant.

1 comment:

  1. HI! Im not really sure what the best way to get in touch with you is but my name is Cassandra Prime and I have been reading up on Habitat for Humanity for some time now and know that I would desperately love to join one of the trips posted. I had planned to make an effort on joining a trip for this summer but I never got a response back from my application and I didnt know if I had done something wrong. But I would really really like to go on this trip and in the future hopefully others as well. I really wanted to go to tailand to help out there but Im so anxious to trvel that I want to go sooner. This trip fits in perfectly from my break between college semesters. It gives me plenty of time to finish finals, celebrate christmas and new years (which I most definently wouldnt mind missing if one of the trips fit my schedule), and then I have plenty of time to return and get settled for the beginning semester.
    So I'm hopeing I will be able to be part of this team. Please contact me at Primecn.1023@yahoo.com
    Thank you,
    Cassandra Prime

    ReplyDelete